Sunday, April 10, 2011

YOU CAN"T BE A "KNOW IT ALL" TIL YOU LEARN SOMETHING FIRST!!

    That ended the argument, but I won the fight. However it also got me back into night courses too. I know now that he had something there, but it took me awhile. That poor guy was right! Trouble is, I've never seen him again.
    We were both hockey players though, so I'm sure he understood. I've learned a lot since then and the more I learn, the more I keep my hands in my pockets and my mouth shut. I don't think I'll ever be an introvert, though.  Just sayin'.
    Have you noticed the quietest person in a group conversation is usually the wisest person once he or she takes their turn to put their 2 cents worth in? So often that happens. I once heard another group member say, "Now that we've finally found someone who knows what they're talking about, we better just shut up and listen".
    We are never too old to learn when it comes to some things. Listening is one of them.
    At one time some years ago, I was involved in giving a short course in communications to a group of workers and supervisors. One supervisor was notorious for stuttering and since we talked a lot back and forth on our truck radios, he always kept his responses short and to the point.
    During this course we would speak a passage from a mine safety regulations book that we knew couldn't be remembered very easily if we asked them later to write it down. Later they were requested to write it the way it was spoken to them.
    After the exams were collected and corrections made, we discovered that the man with the speaking impairment got 100% word for word. The other 19 students got an average of 32%.
    What did that tell us? Well, because of his impairment, he trained himself  to get things right the first time in order that he wouldn't have to embarrass himself by asking questions later.
    It certainly taught me to listen a lot more intently as well.
    Have you ever been sitting in on a lecture and let your mind wander off a little bit? And when the instructor spots that, he pauses, stares at you and asks you to repeat what he just said? That'll make you listen for the remainder of the lecture, anyway!
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment