Thursday, March 29, 2012

MY BROTHER, LORENCE "BUBS" McNAUGHTON

      As we get older, I think we all reflect on the past more. I know I do. The easiest thing to do, is to take my brothers and sisters for granted, forgetting that someday they're going to probably leave before us younger siblings of the family will. Up until now that has been the case with our oldest leaving first at the age of 76. The high Potentate of the family left us very swiftly. Stanley O. McNaughton smiled as he left us behind, sitting in his living room chair. A blood clot took him instantly. He left a great legacy behind him that few people in this country could match, a generous, giving one that our brother Duane framed so well to me;  "Santa Clause is gone."
      It was the most shocking loss, since it wasn't expected to happen the way it did, and we were not prepared at all for it to be in the form of a heart related event. No one up to that point had any sign of heart problems. But as life goes, it did.
     Then eight years later our next oldest brother John D., after a prolonged stay in a nursing home, fell and never recovered due to complications at the age of 83.
His life was the most adventurous, tumultous life of anyone in the family by far: At my age of 3, he walked me up the hill from our home to the bakery where he worked for the owner, George Yesavich and George let me eat all the pastries I wanted each time I went there!
      Years later in 1963, he introduced me to the underground mining business in Butte, Montana over 3 years! Another adventure worthy of remembering all my adult life!
Including allowing me to drive his car around the block at my age of 13.
     His exploits will be chronicled in my writings sometime in the near future.
     Next was our third oldest brother Duane Julius,(He didn't like his second name). Duane gave me my first guitar lessons and after watching me play awhile, gave it to me to have as my own. Then years later when I made a permanent move to Seattle from Fernie, B.C, Canada, He and his wife Angie allowed me to live with them until I found a home of my own.
     I play the guitar today, as a pleasant pastime! 
     Many years passed, and after a short stay in a nursing home, he passed away from natural causes at the age of 86. Another life well lived, and well appreciated by all who knew him.
     I miss them all, because of the way they treated me in my lifetime and the great memories they left all of us with, to treasure as we live on. ( I must say, All my brothers and sisters played crucial, memorable roles in my lifetime that I'm truly thankful for!)
     Our hearts are troubled now with the illness of everyone's favorite, Lorence "Bubs" McNaughton, the fourth eldest brother. Darn it! We don't want him to leave us yet.
     It's extremely difficult to rate my siblings because they've all been good and loving to me. But because I haven't seen enough of him in the last ten years, I haven't paid attention to him for all the kind, loving things he and his wife Connie did for me in the past. I simply took those things for granted. Now, with his life threatened, they all have come glaringly to light.
     At the age of five, I remember Bubs winning at marbles one day, and as he won, he gave them to me, until my little pants pockets were bulging full. I packed them around for part of the day as George Hrychuk and I played at something else.
      I must point out that our town of Fernie had a small airport and in those days planes landing there were few and far between. We're talking about 1941. So when an airplane did appear it was going to make a landing, all of us kids would run to beat the band for the airport to see it after it landed. Well, virtually all of the marbles bounced out of my pockets as I ran, but in the excitement of it all, I only found them missing after I got there. I was so disappointed, I cried all the way home.
     When I arrived home, Bubs was there to greet me and calmly asked me why I was crying. I sobbed that I had lost all my marbles. After telling me not to cry anymore, he said, "Lets go get you some more."      Away we went looking for another marble game in progress. We found one, and Bubs settled in to get me some more marbles.
     After a couple of hours, I had my pockets full again, and I was on my way to play with my friends.  I was a happy camper and the older kids Bubs' age were minus two pockets full of marbles.
    I'll always remember the time when I was around six years old, and Bubs was short of change for something. At the same time, someone, I think Bubs, had given me a nickel. Anyway,Bubs knew I had it  and asked me if he could borrow it for a short while. I think he needed the right change for something. He promised to pay it back, and sometime later he did. Well, a few weeks later I said to him, "Bubs, do you remember that nickel you used to owe me?" He said "Oh yeah," and responded with another nickel. To make a long story short, he let me work him another couple of times after that. He played the game with me.
      I especially love Bubs because he understood me as a child. He always seemed to know my feelings and inevitably defended me when it came time to "push and shove" with my other brothers.
      When I was seven and before I could swim, Bubs, Jack and Bob Duthie would coax me into jumping off the tower for a dime. After each time I jumped, they would grab me and push me over to the side of the pool so I could do it again. I had all the faith in the world they would not let me drown. Obviously they didn't.
      I pray to God that he gets better now, for his family's sake, for our family's sake, and selfishly for my sake. I know I speak for us all when I say this. We demand his presence for some more healthy years.
      I kinow he believes in God, and I'm positive God believes in him.     Just sayin'.

Update:
      God bless you so much, big Brother! We just received news of your failing state. I'm sad and I cried for you today, knowing very well the end has arrived for you.
      At my age of 77, You'd think I would have learned not to cry by now. but my memories are so vivid at this moment of heartbreak for you leaving us, although I know that Mom is up there making a bed for your everlasting passage.
     Farewell my beloved brother, but it's only for now, as I continue to try to earn my entry too! God love you as I do!!    Brother George.
Update;
R.I.P. and farewell Brother Bubs!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment