Monday, May 14, 2012

TO THE GREAT FOLKS AT VIRGINIA-MASON HOSPITAL.

     
        Approximately a month ago, I was rushed to Virginia-Mason Hospital in Seattle with a bleeding condition that was considered very serious and threatening to my health.
        First of all, let me say that in the past year and a half, I had been diagnosed and treated for stage 2 prostate cancer at Skagit State Hospital in Mt. Vernon, Washington. The treatment was performed by the staff in Radiology and I must say couldn't have been more thorough and expertly done. I was, and still am, delighted with the follow-up results that show the cancer is in decline, much to the delight of everyone concerned. A special kind of dedicated people indeed.
        But much to my chagrin, 2 weeks after completing treatment it was discovered through blood tests that I had 3 complete blockages in my aorta and another 90% blockage in an artery even closer to my heart. Once again, I was  admitted to C.C.U. and after receiving the best care anyone could ask for, it was determined I should receive stents to correct the situation, but this time the Cardiologist felt he should perform the operation in the Cardiology facility in Providence  Hospital, N. Everett, since my condition might require open heart surgery should there be any complications with the stent insertion procedure. Once again, everything went according to plan and a beautiful job was done by one and all.
        After feeling better and everything seemed to be okay, I decided to go back to work at my posponed Handyman business. I thought I was over the hump of illnesses once and for all. Two weeks after returning to my work, I was suddenly stricken with a bleeding infection in my colon and was admitted to Skagit Valley Hospital where they were not able to diagnose the problem but realized I would soon bleed to death without tests that could be more readily diagnosed at Virginia Mason in Seattle. The race was on!
        After a whole battery of tests and intrusive procedures, I t was found to have an infected colon called Diverticulitis. The bleeding stopped on it's own, and after several days of post observation, I was allowed to return home to what I hope is another shot at normalcy. Although I have been warned the condition can and probably will reoccur. No guarantees, but after all, who ever gets those anyway?
        I have received a letter from Virginia Mason requesting I remark on the treatment I received while there.
        Well, here goes. I couldn't have been treated better! Being a patient strictly dependent on Medicare meant nothing in the way I was treated by everyone in the hospital facility. There was absolutely no concern expressed by the staff from top to bottom regarding my ability to pay for treatment. No costs were spared in their attempt to save my life when it was on the line. and it WAS on the line.
         At the moment I have no ability to make a donation, but when I can, I certainly will. I can't thank you all enough for the superb way you all handled yourselves without exception and with professionalism at it's best. I owe my life to the whole Medical world of Skagit, Snohomish and King County. Thank you!!!
         George McNaughton.

No comments:

Post a Comment