Saturday, November 3, 2012

JUST A LITTLE LOVE NOTE, A REMINDER THAT LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT!!


      Isn't it amazing how, in just a few words, little things can mean so much. It materially costs nothing, but does such a tremendous amount to lift one's spirits for a day, a week and to a parent, when you love your children enough, eternally. Just a few reassuring words to your Mother and/or Father and they once again feel grateful for being loved and having gone through the bother to raise you.. All is well!!
      But sometimes it's not!
      I speak from experience, since I have lost 2 sons that God called on way too early, leaving me with an empty feeling and wishing I could have done more. But in reality, it's only wishing and nothing more, because you can't change the past no matter what.
      The loss of my first born son happened in a tragic incident with us being 600 miles apart from each other and, because of a disagreement and lack of contact with each other in his last years, (He was 30,)we spoke little to each other during that time.. I was just one of those things where we both had forgotten the differences, but assumed we would straighten it out down the road, with both of us probably thinking time was of no essence. But it was.
      One day, after my reflecting back on his childhood, remembering his personal problems and considering the distance between us, I decided to write Danny a letter, telling him I was sorry for my lack of understanding of him and our differences, and asking for his forgiveness. I said how much I loved him and that he was heavy on my mind lately.
      I posted the letter from Bothell,Wa., unaware that the Canadian Post Office was on strike.
      A month later, in the middle of the night, My wife and I were awakened with a telephone call from my 2nd son, Allan, who lived in the same town with Danny in Canada. Danny was found dead, frozen face down in a little creek that ran through the middle of town. It was devastating to me,
      I tried to handle it and sat down with the consolation though, that by this time, he had received my letter. But he hadn't.
     One week after, the letter was returned to me because of the strike in Canada. It was a blow that haunts me to this day.
     He died without my assurance that I loved him! Worse yet, a personal dream died with him, a dream that someday his Mother and I would re-unite in his lifetime. I was never able to convince him it couldn't  happen. I won't get into saying why because it doesn't matter.
     I promised myself I would never let that happen again, and I hoped to never lose another child. But 22 years later, sadly I did.
     Allan passed away from a stroke caused by a brain tumor. But this time, he was here with me where I could hold his hand and tell him I loved him, and I did. We parted company with the Lord's Prayer.
     My message is this; Always tell the people that are close to you that you love them. It doesn't cost a dime, and you know that when one of you should leave for good, you've truly done your part by honoring them with your presence, whenever you can spare the time from your schedule in these busy times.   Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment