Friday, August 15, 2014

A STRANGE, BUT BEAUTIFUL ENDING TO A HEARTWARMING STORY.


     In August of 2013, there was a strange black and white cat that began hanging around the mobile home park we live in. But it wasn't odd for people moving out of the park to abandon their animals when they move their homes out, so it was assumed by everyone in the park that this may have been the case.
     So this cat busied himself visiting with people around the park, moving from place to place in search of food and seeking places to shelter itself from the weather when need be.
     I, in my later years have resorted to being a handyman in my spare time.
     In one instance, I had my own personal, surprising encounter 6 months or so ago concerning the cat when repairing another resident's steps and storm door, while the resident was away at work.          As I was going about with my repairs, the lady knew I would have to open the entry door by accessing the work on the storm door, so she left it unlocked when she left for work.
     As I completed my outside portion of the screen door, I reached for the knob of the entry door and opened it. I was startled when this same cat came shooting out the door to disappear on a dead run for someplace unknown.
     I was distressed by that, because I had let the family pet get away. But along with that, I was finally satisfied I knew at least where the cat lived.
     That evening, when the lady called my home to thank me for the good work, I apologized to her for letting her cat out and asked her if it had come back home safely. Her response was, after the drawing in of her breath, "What cat? I don't own one!!" Both of us were mystified by that.
     Now, since my wife is partially disabled, we had a lady who lived next door to us who was qualified in home nursing, and it was very convenient for us to have her tend to my wife, two times a week. She mentioned one day that she was putting water and food out for that stray black and white cat, because she cared about it's welfare. So sometimes the cat would follow her to our house, I guess.
     Well, unfortunately that lady and her husband passed away through coincidental circumstances and we lost a very good elderly couple and a great nurse. it was a tough blow and we also had to find another home-care nurse. We found one living in our town several miles away.
     For several months now, Margurita, this new nurse has also been coming twice a week to help us with my wife. (All the while, the black and white cat was roaming around the park, sometimes here, sometimes there.)
    Today, by coincidence while taking out the trash, she saw her beloved black and white cat she lost a year ago this month.
    Needless to say, they recognized each other immediately and a very happy re-union took place, with my wife shedding happy tears as well.
    Here's hoping they will live happily ever after.  Just sayin'.
 
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment