Sunday, March 1, 2015

A LESSON TO BE LEARNED FROM A MOM AND HER 4 CHILDREN.


     As usual on Sunday mornings, I head for Starbucks with a little different flair in the way I dress, simply because it's Sunday, after all.
     Different from the other mornings during the week-days there, I'm not in my everyday work clothes and minus the traditional work suspenders. Sometimes, even without my variety of well worn work caps. (People are sometimes surprised to discover I still have a full head of, although graying, hair.)
     It's a day when people decide it's time for 'family togetherness' and if not a religious day to them, it's at least a pause to be thankful for what they have.
     So, there's generally a good peaceful mixture of people being respectful to each other and less mention of politics.
     Today, I'd like to point out an event that to me, was a little, young family gathering that I wish could be more common, and more often. It was a display  by a mother and her four children who came into Starbucks, clearly to do a weekly ritual they were used to doing perhaps every Sunday.
     The young mother of somewhere around the age of thirty, had a large bag which she handed to the littlest boy around the age of two, and directed him to a table with four chairs. He immediately took the variety bag of goodies and followed by a boy of four and last by a girl of seven or so, climbed up onto a chair.
     Without discussion, they each took a chair as if they knew what their 'pecking order' was, and after the smallest boy reached into the bag, took out a pastry that he knew was obviously meant for him, handed the bag to the older boy of four.
     That boy, with still no discussion, took out his intended pastry and in turn, handed it to the girl of seven. She then took her pastry out, and set the bag in the middle of the table, as the mother arrived with a newborn baby and a variety of drinks for all. There was still a treat left for her, and she took that treat out of the bag and settled in to distribute the drinks. They all sat there with little or no conversation and it was obvious they were all perfectly comfortable with their little gathering, and satisfied with what they were doing.
     When they finished their treats, and oblivious of the helter-skelter of movements of others around them, orderly got up and left in close single file behind their mother for their vehicle.
     I watched in wonder at the total performance of that family who, I'm sure was on their way to a church gathering of some sort. At least I would like to think they were.
     Two things came to mind at that moment; One was the memory of our dear mother, who used to herd seven or eight of us still at home off to church every Sunday, come hell or high water, and why the heck can't we see more of it today?
     I must say, although I didn't know who they were, the mother sure had that family put together the proper way, and I take my hat off to them as they face the uncertainty of the rest of the misguided World they have to face today!   God bless them!  Just sayin'.




No comments:

Post a Comment