Monday, April 13, 2015

JUST SO YOU KNOW: AFTER YOUR HP WARRANTY RUNS OUT, BEWARE OF HACKING FROM WHERE YOU WOULD NEVER SUSPECT!


     If lawmakers ever needed to protect the interests of the consumers, they need to now.
     Two years and 3 months ago, I purchased an HP computer and an HP printer, both at the same time! I was inclined to do so because the previous computer and laptop were giving me trouble soon after the warranties expired. The previous printer was also an HP. It began malfunctioning shortly after the warranty had ran out! Just a coincidence that the advice of the East Indian Representative was to renew the coverage for 150 dollars for I year. (The cost of a new printer!)
     Two things I wasn't aware of at the time were; HP, much the same as other major manufacturers do, had outsourced their technical and warranty contracts to other Countries such as India. The other little known fact is, the same people have the capability of disabling your equipment or aiding you in repair of it. Did you know that?? Another interesting thing is, When India decides to disable your printer remotely from there, an independent, licensed repair person isn't able to fix it!
     Well, Norton protection also just happens to be the company that has been outsourced to India for coverage.
     Viruses began showing up right and left, and crept into my printer and computer, along with notices from HP that I needed to renew my coverages, one of repair, and one of protection against viruses. Both from India.
     My new printer, now again 2 years and 3 months old, started malfunctioning and telling me I had an improperly installed, or had installed the wrong print-head. (I had never touched the inside)
     After examination, virus removal and cleaning by a local licensed technician, their still was no improvement and it still malfunctioned with the same message. My computer also started getting pop-ups by HP and Norton that became so frequent and insistent, there was no way to "X" them out, telling me I needed to re-new my virus protection by Norton, and blocking my screen to the point I had to shut off my computer, unplug the power source and remove the battery to temporarily rid my screen of them. I had a local technician remove the so-called "viruses" from my computer,  but worked on my printer in vain.        Within a week, they returned. In frustration, I called HP assistance only to be told by another E. Indian tech that even to remove the HP and Norton 2 inch by 2 inch pop-ups I would have to renew my coverage for another 150 dollars to remove the pop-ups that were HP and Norton produced. (The tech tried to convince me the pop-ups were not theirs, but viruses.) Theyvalso told me the Printer could only be repaired by an HP. technician. (Again , in India!)
     I finally got the inkling that the E. Indian Co. was deliberately causing the pop-ups to harass me into buying new equipment again, or renew the 150 dollar coverage. Maybe the Printer too??
 When I "blew my lid" on the phone, so to speak, I was cut off and magically the pop-ups ceased!
     So we have to face it, Folks; It appears the same Companies you buy the product from are free to harass you into buying either more of their product, or extend more protection coverage.
     Until their is more scrutiny into their activities and rules established to protect us Consumers from these "Predatorial" actions, they have us coming and going. It certainly looks like a scheme to me!   Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment