Thursday, March 10, 2011

I LOST MY GREAT LITTLE FRIEND MAR, 7th. R.I.P. LITTLE DUFFER, MITZI!!!

     Our little female poodle was born on January 15th,1998.
She was the runt of a litter of six and approximately half the size of the rest of them. She was coal black but we were assured by the breeder  that she would eventually turn silver.   
      As tiny as she was we didn't worry about her survival chances because of the way she stood her ground when the others tried to crowd her out for a teet. We named her Mitzi.
     At the age of six weeks, she could more than hold her own. In fact she was really an alpha female as we later found out. She could stand in the palm of my hand ,but amazingly enough she could
 jump from the floor  up onto the couch or chair with room to spare.
     Before  I go too far with her story, I must point out that we already had a 6 year old Yorkshire
SilkyTerrier named, appropriately, "Corky the Yorky". Now Corky was a very loveable little fella too and was very apprehensive about her coming into "our" life. So he was very guarded about what he  felt to be his.
    His little bed was off limits and so was his ball and bone along with his dish. He soon got used to her though, and it wasn't long before they knew whose toy was whose. My lap was his and my wife Marilyn's was her's. Corky came into our life about 1 year before Mitzi from a family who had found him in terrible condition as the result of a puupy mill  and nursed him back to health. He instantly took to me and loved to ride with me wherever I went in my truck.
    Unfortunately he was stolen out of my truck one day while I went into Jack in the Box in Mt. Vernon. So Marilyn, Mitzi and I had to accept that and go on without her, sadly enough.
   Mitzi soon took over as protector of our house and we grew even closer to her. Our daughter Pam also acquired a chocolate Labrador puppy a year younger than Mitzi and we babysat her whenever
we could get her.. Pam named her Lulu.and the name suited her so very well. She loves everyone without exception and so does everyone love her. She was Mitzi's only canine friend through the later years.
   As those years went by we became even closer to Mitzi and Marilyn would lightheartedly scold me for mauling her too much. We grew to know exactly what she wanted, when and why.
   She passed away suddenly on March 9th at 10;45 P.M. on Marilyn's lap and it was like losing our child. I buried her the following day in a nice sheltered spot in our back yard.  At least that way she'll be with us as long as we're here and we don't plan on going anywhere. We miss her dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment