Sunday, March 13, 2011

TEACHERS: LET'S GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

    I recently did some work for a couple of days in Mt. Vernon for the Shool District to help a friend catch up on some work to the various buildings and their classrooms. While doing this, I realized I hadn't been in a classroom for at least 4 decades!
    The classrooms that impressed me the most were the elementary ones and each had their own grade levels. I couldn't help but take notice of the way the teachers had arranged them to prepare the students for subjects they were teaching or about to teach.
     It has been some time since being in one but the familiarity of  my own learning days came glaringly to mind. I don't think even back in those days I was conscious of the behind the scenes work they had to accomplish before   the next learning day, nor was I really aware of the physical and mental stress they endured to get it done. As a student I didn't care. I didn't take into consideration the emotions they suffered , the long hours they worked or the amount of  comfort  and caring they had to keep in reserve
for an unfortunate or misguided child. (When I say "child" I mean any student up to senior class.)
     I recognize now that not just any bright, educated person can become a teacher just because the money may be attractive in that profession. The need to love children basically has to be there, the ability to communicate to them and the desire to help others is essential. Most teachers, I'm sure, know that already.
     Another thought that came to me was the way I behaved with some of the teachers when I was a student myself. If only I could go back in time to see them again and apologize for my behavior, I would.,
     In my blogs I am critical of the  behavior of the powerful unions, including the Teacher's union because of the leaders political behaviors. Believe me, in no way do I criticize the members in this particular subject.
     I firmly believe the the teachers are more than deseving of their time they are allotted in the summer months. Thank you for your dedication!Just

No comments:

Post a Comment