Sunday, April 24, 2011

"STREET SMART" AND WHAT DOES IT REPRESENT?

    I recently read where an acquaintance wrote that, he was not only "Book smart", but also "Street smart". Not knowing his background very well, I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt but it started me thinking, what really is street smart? This is because I had a late son whom I considered to be "Street smart", since he lived on the streets by choice for the last 12 years of his life.
    I'll give a short rundown of his life before he did that.
    My son was born Allan Dale McNaughton in Calgary, Alberta Canada, on Aug. 11th, 1959. He was a baby that cried a lot as though something was hurting him, but we were'nt able to determine what it was. Doctors could'nt either. The cause was never found, but it was obvious there was pain.
    At the age of 6 months, he became deathly ill with double bronchial pneumonia and, as he was receiving treatment in the Creston, B.C. hospital, contracted staff of the lungs as well. He went into a coma and we were told by the doctor there was little hope for his survival. However, I was approached by the doctor shortly after that announcement, at which time he explained to me there was a new drug developed that was successful, but had not been used on infants under the age of 8 years. We felt there was nothing to lose under the circumstances, and  agreed to it's use.
    The next day as I was sitting by his bedside, when he  awoke, looked over at me and gave me the smile of my lifetime. It was as if to say," I'm gonna make it, Dad"! I hollered excitedly to the nurse walking by, and soon the whole floor was cheering. It was one of the happiest days of my life!.
    He was soon better and Allan went on to live a normal life as a child. The painful crying was gone.
    After 5 tumultuous  years we had amassed together 4 children, Daniel Francis, the eldest, Allan, Leslie Kim and Alana. My wife and I separated at this point with her having custody of the children.
    After 4 years of being away, I returned to eventually get divorced, and received full custody of my children.
    At this point in time, we moved to live in Fernie B.C. Canada. The kids all did fine in school with the exception of Allan who had a difficult time getting along with some of the teachers and other students. Allan made it to grade 10 and decided to strike out on his own. Although he thought he was ready for the world, it seems the world wasn't ready for Allan. His problem of getting along with others remained with him throughout the years. He yearned for friends but couldn't make the friendships last. and his life was continually sad.Allan's ability to make friends and keep them was difficult. I realized this, and made it a point to favor him in family affairs, at times. I loved him then, and still love him as if he were still here with me. Throughout his life, he reached out to his siblings and myself occasionally, sometimes for love, sometimes for understanding and sometimes just to be recognized that he was still part of the "pecking order" in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment