Monday, May 30, 2011

MEMORIAL DAY and VETERAN'S DAY REMEMBRANCES-MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS

                                              email me     macgeo2345@hotmail.com
    I'd like to thank my father, John Duncan McNaughton for defending Britain on behalf of  Canada during World war 1. He was a machine gunner and was eventually seriously wounded by the Germans during trench warfare in Europe. He went on to serve in the Canadian Home Guard in World war 2.
    My thanks to my oldest brother Stanley O. McNaughton who saw battle in World war 2 as a Squadron Leader in a B-29 bomber and went on to be in the same position in the Korea campaign.
    My thanks to my brother Duane McNaughton who fought in Belgium as a Canadian Paratrooper throughout World war 2.
    My thanks to my brother-in-law Douglas Winters who practically grew up in our family and served in the Canadian Air Force throughout World war 2.
    My thanks to my brother Laurence (Bubs) McNaughton who fought the North Koreans as well as the Chinese in Korea with the United States army.
    My thanks to my brother Jack who served in the Korean War as a navigator in a bomber squadron with the United States Air Force and went on to retire as a Major after 22 years of service.
    My thanks to my nephew Robert McNaughton who served in the U.S. Marine Corp. He was decorated for bravery in Viet Nam and lives in Juneau Alaska, today.
    My thanks to his brother Kenneth McNaughton who also served in the U.S.Army and was  stationed in Vietnam. He lives and works to this day with his brother in Juneau Alaska and they both have raised families of their own.
    My thanks to Art Palmer, 92,  of Mt. Vernon, Wa, a pilot of a Liberator bomber who,on his 50th bomber flight over Germany, was shot down, captured and spent 10 months in a Stalag prison camp in Germany. We all see Art and his wife Darlene at Starbucks quite often and wish them the very best every day.
    Last but not least, thanks to my friend Fred Reed, a resident in my park who turned 93 in March of this year. A true WW2 hero in my eyes. Fred was a 1st Sergeant in the Combat Engineers, Company "A" who was involved in the Invasion of Normandy, right through all the major battles en-route to Germany including the "Battle of The Bulge". His Company was among the first group of Americans to enter Berlin.
    It's such an honor to say I'm a part of this family of heroes, and proud to know and be a fan of Art and Fred. Thanks to each and every one! Don't leave us yet Art or Fred! Our hearts go out to you.
    May God grant them long, healthy lives and thanks to our family and friend's prayers that brought them all back home.    Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment