Monday, November 7, 2011

A HUMMINGBIRD SHORT STORY.

                                           email me     macgeo2345@hotmail.com
                                       read my blogs    http:/macgeo1234.blogspot.com
In 1955, I was working with a survey crew in B.C. for the Dept. of highways. It involved highway construction along Moyie Lake, approx. 20 miles south of the small city of Cranbrook. We were rebuilding a stretch of highway that required fill material to be placed partially into the lake due to the opposite side of the road being very steep and mountainous, with little or no room for expansion.
    Before this could take place we had to know just how much crushed, or blasted rock would be needed. That mean't of course, taking soundings quite a ways out from shore, at right angles to the road.
    This amounted to the use of a small skiff to get us out far enough to drop a measuring chain into the areas where the fill material was to be placed.
    At this particular part of the lake, the width of the body of water was several miles across.
    In the midst of taking the soundings, I noticed a beautiful,multicolored humming bird floating on it's back and desperately trying to flap it's wings. It was within arms reach, and I gently slipped my hand into the water and lifted the little creature out. It lay on it's back for a short while in the palm of my hand, as though it was resting before attempting to fly away.
    To my surprise it suddenly fluttered furiously, all the while on it's back. It slowed down, then stopped entirely. Unfortunately it passed away right then.
I didn't know why it died, but I at least thought I would take it ashore where it would want to be. I rowed to shore and laid it gently on the soft ground. Then I went back to finish my work.
    Over many years, I reflected back to the that little bird, with the wonder in mind as to why it passed away like it did. Then one evening recently, I was watching a National Geographic documentary on different types of birds. One section was about Hummingbirds, and the way they achieved their flight. It explained how hard they had to flap their wings to stay in the air. Because of their build and the shortness of their wings, it requires an enormous amount of energy to stay in flight. As a result, they need to absorb food nectar almost continually. They cannot fly for an extended length of time over a large body of water. The story is still sad to me but at least I know the reason the little critter didn't make it home.        
     I wonder. Is there possibly a lesson to be learned here? If there is, I knew a little hummingbird who would be pleased to know he or she didn't die in vain.     Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment