Thursday, January 19, 2012

THE DOUBLE TALK OF TALK SHOW HOSTS AND POLITICIANS.

       I grew up in the late Thirty's, Forty's and Fifty's. It was a time of one car families, ( My older brothers had one that ran occasionally) and it was a time when things were hard enough that no one was interested in beating around the bush, so to speak. A spade was a spade, gay mean't happy, gang bangers were a group who raped women, "ain't" wasn't in the dictionary and a personal insult deserved and got a punch or maybe two in the mouth. Believe me, it did a good job of keeping everybody straight and no one objected to it. If the shoe fit, you wore it. Sometimes it was deservedly so, if it fit your rear end.
      It may sound unbelievable, but the way I remember it, the good guy always won. The bad guy always got his "come-uppance" sooner or later.
      So, growing up that way, you always knew what to expect. The good guys knew when the bad guys had enough and a hockey game ensued. We all went out for a beer after. You always learned who to fight with and who not to.
      But it's different now. People patronize each other so much in political discussions when they're actually disagreeing with each other, that I sometimes wonder at the end of it all if I even got the gist of what they were saying.
      It's like this: "Well first of all it's a pleasure to be here." "I've known Republican Bill here for thirty years now and we've always been able to agree on virtually everything and I have to say first that he's an honest and honorable man" "However, as a Democrat, I have to tell you Bill, what you just said wasn't exactly the way I would have said it even though it may be true,even if I don't think it is. When I said I mounted animals you failed to tell them I was a Taxidermist."
     Then Tom Brokaw gets in the mix and suggests they should all stop arguing and have a gay time of it. I imagine you get my drift here.
     Anyway, I wish it was back in the old days again.    Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment