Friday, July 5, 2013

AN UNHAPPY EXPERIENCE AT "THE BRIDGE" CONVALESCENT CENTRE.


     In the past two years or so, I've had more than my share of Hospital care, to the point that I know lack of care and abuse when I see it.
     For the past week, I have seen it actually for the first time.
     My elderly brother who is at the delicate age of 86, has taken a very nasty fall on his face, having tripped over his oxygen cord at his home.
     It happened approx. ten days ago.
     As a result of this, his family has been in consultation with the family practitioner, who recommended that he be taken to "The Bridge" Convalescent and Rehabilitation Centre in Mt. Vernon, Wa..
     As I understand it, he broke several bones in his face, including his nose and injured his ribs as well. To the point he has been coughing up blood at times, which would indicate a punctured lung. I have been witness to his condition, since I also live in Mt. Vernon, and have been visiting him twice a day since he arrived there. Through all of this, he remains on oxygen 24/7 due to a pre-existing condition anyway.
     Upon visiting him, I have encountered several irregularities that didn't occur during any of my frequent hospital stays elsewhere.
     To start with, I became aware that he hadn't been eating the meals that had been left for him to eat on his own.
     I was particularly concerned because I also observed that he was extremely shaky when he did try to eat and after finally finding his mouth with the food, he couldn't eat it for two reasons. He couldn't wear his false teeth and his mouth was too sore. To top it off, due to his swallowing back down the blood his lungs were producing when he coughed, the indigestion was causing him to throw up the food he did get down.
     That concerned me. because in his very weak condition anyway, I know that the lack of nutrition of any kind is not a good thing.
     It was Sunday afternoon.
     I approached the nurse at her station and asked if anything could be done to relieve his problem.
     Her answer alarmed me. She told me she was not authorized by the doctor to administer any unprescribed medication, such as Tums.
     I then requested her to call for permission to do so. Her answer was that because it was Sunday, there were no doctors to call that she could reach. She explained to me that although she wasn't authorized, I could go purchase Tums myself and give them to him, but she could not.
     Much to his relief, I did just that.
     At this juncture, I must point out that I noticed very little personal compassion throughout the staff with few exceptions.
     I will say this about my brother, he didn't complain, and the reason he didn't was because he didn't like to be disturbing them.
     But my point is, if it was so apparent to me, why wasn't it of concern to them?
     As I visited him, I couldn't help but see, although his wounds were healing, he was appearing weaker. But still no alternative nutrition. So why not?
     On Tuesday of this week, near his bedtime, I noticed the bedding had been refreshed, but no blanket available. I once again approached one of the Aides for a blanket. Another Aide eventually came in with two sheets but no blanket. In amazement, he announced there were no blankets available. He never did get one!
     After five days of visiting, his food regimen has been nothing but terrible.
     This morning as I visited him, his breakfast remained untouched, and as I glanced around the room I realized it hadn't received any attention since the day before. The garbage was overflowing enough that I picked up some that had fallen beside it.
     After I pointed it out to an attendant, she emptied it. I then requested to  speak to the Building Supervisor and she requested such. After a half hour waiting, I requested her to call again. She did, and the response was loud enough for me to hear the Supervisor. She had to make other phone calls first. That was it, and I left to go to work.
     It would appear that the temperament in that building is one of lackluster
     existence. To walk through the building while coming and going, there's seldom a smile from any of the residents. They're only a number, not a human being that's owed respect for having made it that far.
     My brother has been more of a Saint than just a brother!
     Please be advised that I won't stand idly by and be quiet about it.
     It's my intention to take this to the Dept. of Health and insist there be an investigation into the overall behavior of the Facility.
     After all, if we're fortunate enough to grow that old, wouldn't we want more compassion than that?
     They earned it, and we owe it!   Just sayin'.
    

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment