Monday, October 28, 2013

SOME FATHERS WERE THERE TOO!!


      The first thing I want to do is agree with the praises that people sing to their mothers. It's a great and noble thought and the loving thing to do.
      No one could be more thankful for a wonderful mother such as ours at the Head of the McNaughton family. Due to a dysfunctional father of ours, he was more like a 12th child in the family than a responsible husband to our mother, and than he was as a Dad to us 11 children, consisting of 8 boys and 3 girls. She raised us on a welfare cheque  along with her faith and the blessings of God. Too many times, we had to stand helplessly by, and watch her cry her heart out in despair, only to pick herself up from where she sat down for a moment and get back to her endless housework. We all shared her desperation in feeling terribly helpless at that very time.
      We all grew up to love her for it and speaking for myself, I too believe in God and a Hereafter that will judge us when the time comes. I was inspired a lot, because we saw her prayers answered to what she considered her satisfaction.
      Excluding myself for the moment, I'd like to express there aren't just mothers out there who sacrificed themselves for the sake of their families. 
      Let's not forget the families who do, and did have, fathers who went to work to bring home the bacon eight hours a day and sometimes more.
     Duly granted, some of the mothers in later years, (I'll venture 40 years) did too.
     In my case, I have nothing to brag about concerning the raising of my original 4 children except to say, due to a dysfunctional set of circumstances and through paternal feelings for my children, I was determined to see them raised in a family atmosphere, considering the absence of the help of their mother.  ( I tried to find the kindest way I could to explain that.) I must say now, it was way easier said than done.
     I suppose one reason mothers are remembered more so than fathers, is the family doesn't see the anguish the fathers go through in life, because in most men's ways of thinking, being seen crying would be displaying a "Chink in their armor" not to be seen by their children or other adults. But take it from me, and I think I can speak for most men, we do find moments to cry that other people don't know about. Crying inside is as emotional as outside.
      I myself, do not ask for that much compassion or consideration, since in their eyes I guess I wasn't the father they expected me to have been. I do know I could have done better, but I also know I was always morally honorable as a Dad when they were raised under my care and they never went hungry or without food and shelter. The home was always there when they needed it.
     So much for me!
     For the sake of other good, loving Dads out there though, see if you can say something loving and good a little more often than just the occasional assumption that they already know. Just sayin'.
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment