Thursday, April 21, 2011

BLESS THE FOLKS AT THE SKAGIT RADIOLOGY CENTER!

    Three months ago I received the dreaded word that no man ever wants to hear. After testing was completed, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer! After reflecting back I knew the warning signs were there for some time prior, possibly a couple of years. It's one of those things, you know, Aww, maybe they are temporary and will eventually go away.
    They didn't! So after arranging a long delayed decision to check it out, I made an appointment with my family doctor. He referred me to a Urologist and it was confirmed I had it by way of biopsy testing.
    I really wasn't surprised and not frightened by it. Being 74 years old I'm not expecting to live forever
anyway.
    It wasn't until radiology treatment was scheduled did I realize there were many others with the same problem. Some worse than me. The waiting room was a comfortable setting with people from all walks of life and different kinds of cancer. It was a sort of meeting of the minds. A very relaxed and, pleasant if you will, place for all of us to discuss our various problems. No one dwelled on it though. The problems of the world are discussed, the different positions in life are brought up for those who wished to participate and those who wanted to be wiser and remain silent did so.
    With all of that, I managed to get in my two cents worth. Imagine that!
    I must say they were enjoyable therapy sessions for me. A thought entered my mind that if all of us
could get along and accept the consequences that lay ahead for us, Why in the hell couldn't the rest of the world?
    You've heard the expression, "It's all about money". Well, in this gathering room that was the last thing on anyone's mind. We suddenly became equal in that room. There were times when I was pulled away for treatment that I wished I could stay for just a few more minutes.
    Eveyone seemed comfortable with everybody else.
    The people administering the treatment were without exception, pleasant and caring. You couldn't ask
for more gracious people and they make it a point to remember our idle talk from the treatment before.
About personal events, family things and much more. I take my hat off to them for making that a priority.
After all, they have this job to do five days a  week and more.
    Last but not least, the Doctors and Support staff. They were patient and always wanted to know if anything needed to be addressed concerning our treatments.
I commend the Supervisory staff who very obviously had to be careful in the choosing of the workers
for this particular and very special kind of work. I enjoyed every treatment and can't express enough gratitude to all who took part in my treatment.
    Thank you and God bless.

    George McNaughton.

No comments:

Post a Comment